September 21, 2010

Good-bye Chaos, Hello Change


Just like the author of the September 21st reading, growing up in a dysfunctional family I became a fearful person who dreaded change. Trying to work around a person with borderline personality disorder, I was so adapted to chaos, that I had this sense that I could "deal" with it. I am glad that Al-anon helped me to let go of this illusion. I have learned it is more honest to admit that I am powerless over my borderline family member. They live in a disease much like alcoholism. I did not create it, I can't cure it.

The changes involved in my study of Al-anon, have had a positive effect on me. I can more readily accept that change is inevitable in normal life. Fear still comes up from time to time, but today I let my Higher Power help me walk through it. Belief in a Power greater than me is stronger than my fear; "I choose to trust this Power to know exactly what I need and when I need it."

Today's Reminder is a good one:

"Today I can accept the changes occurring in my life and live more comfortably with them. I will trust in the God of my understanding, and my fears will diminish. I relax in this knowledge, knowing I am always taken care of when I listen to my inner voice."

We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. Charles R. Swindoll

2 comments:

  1. Good quote. I like playing on the string that I have. I have this one life and hopefully a chance to do things according to God's will on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Syd for stopping by, this and so many of my blogging days. One life, one string, I too am glad for the shoes I get to fill when I find quotes that enlarge the chosen reading...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~