October 10, 2010

Saturday and Sunday in One

The readings from October 9th and 10th in Courage to Change complement one another well, so I've woven excerpts from each, "book-ending" my share with quotes from One Day at a Time in Al-anon.

The First Step prepares us for a new life, which we can achieve only by letting go of what we cannot control, and by undertaking, one day at a time, the monumental task of setting our world in order through a change in our own thinking.

When I came to program,  I was reluctant to admit that I was powerless. Although, I had obviously failed to conquer my problems, I was not going to surrender!

Today I am grateful that to understand that  "surrender does not mean submission--it means I am willing to stop fighting reality, to stop trying to do God's part, and just do my own."

In embracing program, I had to stop perceiving God as my adversary. Being guarded  was what led me to my emotional bottom. 

"I do not lose face when I concede that I am not in control." Nature has many wonders and power larger than I.     The world revolves without my help.  Everyone in my world, including my loved ones, is being taken care of by a Higher Power.   That leaves me free to live my own life.

"When I am the driver, the responsibility for steering clear of the road's edge is mine.  It is up to me to take my recovery seriously, to work on my attitudes, to take care of my mind, body and spirit, to make amends when I have done harm--in short, to change the things I can."


Help me to accept what I cannot change, and to focus on changing what I can. It is perfectly acceptable to discern the difference by trial and error.  Mistakes give me the chance for wisdom.

If a crisis or any problem baffles me, I hold it up to the light of the Serenity Prayer and extract its sting before it can hurt me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~