October 14, 2010

Take Ten

Today's reading from Courage to Change reminds me this is, always and forever, a one-day-at-a-time program. Changing the thinking of a lifetime is not done overnight.

Now that I am on a good track, I use the Tenth Step to make me aware of when I am sliding back into faulty thinking.

I take this as an invitation to stop and look at my reality. Do I think I am on the "inside track" and that I know how everything should be done?  Do I insist on believing others are too short-sighted to see what I alone can see? Have I gone back to my old habits of running my own life and forgetting to trust in my Higher Power?  What about my tendencies to ignore my feelings, thinking that it a practical way to live?  

I can apply "Easy Does It", and gently when I find myself reverting back to self-defeating thinking and behaviors.
"By promptly admitting where I've gone wrong, I'm doing what I can to change."

Let me remember not to settle for anything less than peace of mind. I use Step Ten to remind myself to take time each day to make corrections in my course towards serenity.

3 comments:

  1. A friend from the program decided to unload news of some pretty self-destructive behavior on me yesterday. I think is was a test to see how I would react to what she had done. I didn't, but it has been on my mind. I want better for her and I want her to see this is hurting her. I then read this page and realized it is a personal journey and only I can know what is best for me and not make that judgement for others. Maybe she needed to find out what worked before doesn't work when your taking the spiritual path. I can only find my own way and it has taken me a lot longer than I thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, I am humbled by what you have shared. I know you care very much for your friend. It is a challenge to be there for a friend in a time of need, and not judge ourselves or them when they are hurting. How much am I responsible for? Where exactly is the point at which I Let Go and Let God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Step Ten is a favorite step. I can make those changes in my daily course when I use it.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~