February 4, 2011

February 3: Serenity Allows Me to Be More Fully ME

When I first became acquainted with the 12-steps, I heard that the principles of the program led to serenity. I’d have preferred to hear that the program would fix me and heal my dry drunk. My idea of serenity was sitting in the lotus position with a sweet smile on my face, not caring much about anything at all. I was more interested in passion!

Today's author of CTC explains how passion and serenity are both possible:

"Eventually, I learned that serenity didn’t have to strip me of my passion. Instead, it offered me a sense of inner security the freed me to live my life as fully and as passionately as I pleased, because it tapped me into an unlimited supply of energy and wisdom: A Higher Power. I could make strong choices and take risks because, with this help, I was better able to deal with anything that happened.

Nothing can compare to the drama of exploring my full potential as a human being. Once I had a taste of the rich life that could be mine with the help of our program and my Higher Power, I discovered that serenity was a great treasure.

Today I seek serenity, knowing that when I am serene, I am capable of becoming more fully, more passionately, myself."

“Without this program, I could not have appreciated how truly wonderful my life can be in spite of difficult situations.” In All Our Affairs.


(Quoted from Courage to Change, for personal use.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~