March 3, 2011

March 3: Maturity, One Day at a Time




(Adapted for personal use from Courage to Change in Alanon.)



A recent searching and fearless moral inventory of myself (Step Four) gave me a clear message: Key aspects of my behavior were honestly immature. But what is mature behavior? Obviously the answer is different for each of us, but exploring the question can help me to explore my goals and apply the program as I seek to change this behavior. To me, maturity means...

Having the courage to live one day at a time.
Recognizing that I always have choices, and taking responsibility for the ones I make.
Acknowledging that my needs are my responsibility.
Asking for help when I need it and acting on my own when I don't.
Accepting love from others, even if I am having a tough time loving myself.
Knowing myself.
Recognizing my shortcomings and my strengths.
Forgiving myself and others.
Admitting when I am wrong and making amends.
Seeing that life is a blessing.
Having an opinion without insisting that others share it.
Caring for people without having to take care of them.

Accepting I'll never be finished--I'll always be a work in progress.

Maturity is the ability to think, speak and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity. The measure of your maturity is how spiritual you become during the midst of your frustrations. Samuel Ullman

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~