May 31, 2011

The Power of Worry and Fear


I long to share this quote because no paraphrase could do it better....  I know I have  this emotional challenge, this gift, of worry. Perhaps you do as well? If so,   I pray these are an appropriate program antidote for you as well.

"Worry and fear can alter our perceptions until we lose all sense of reality, twisting neutral situations into nightmares. Because most worry focuses on the future, if we can learn to stay in the present, living one day or one moment at a time, we take positive steps towards warding off the effects of fear.

In the past, many of us tried to anticipate all possible disastrous outcomes so that we would be prepard to protect ourselves. But today, our program, our fellowship, and a Higher Power allow us to view this self-protectiveness more objectively. When we anticipate doom, we lose touch with what is happening now and we see the world as a threatening place against which we must be on constant alert.

Most of our fears will never come to pass, and if they do, foreknowledge probably won't make us any better prepared. But, as we grow in self-esteem, faith an trust in our Higher Power, we become quite capable of doing for ourselves what our anticipations could never achieve--taking appropriate action in any situation.

Today's Reminder

Today I will recognize that worries can be potent and mind-altering. "  


I ask myself, if I can chose to refrain from worry, just for today?

"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott."

(Embraced for personal use from 5-29's Courage to Change in Alanon.)

1 comment:

  1. I don't have many worries today. I do my best not to worry about things or obsess over what is beyond my control.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~