November 13, 2010

First Things First? Step Eleven!

I'm trying to get my head around the meaning of this statement from today's CTC:  "The things that are urgent are rarely important, and the things that are important are rarely urgent."   I am wondering what this statement means to you?

“First Things First” is a slogan that often comes to mind.

For me to put maintaining my recovery as my first priority, has taken a concerted effort to move guilt out of  way.  Up until recently, I thought putting me first was a supremely, unforgivably selfish thing to do. 

I get past some of my guilt about self care, when I make Step Eleven my first practice of the day. I am grateful for this from of today's reading:  "My connection with my Higher Power is the source of serenity, so maintaining that connection is my “first thing.”  

I like the image of my Higher Power as my Source of Light.  I need Light for even the mundane, seeing my way around the house on these long nights of the year.   Without  a light, I may be able to find my way from room to room, "but my passage is sure to be slow, confusing, and possibly painful."

In planning my day, I will feel more serene if I take time for what is really important. My Higher Power is what comes first for me in maintaining my recovery.  What is your "First Things First?"

“Let us spend one day deliberately as Nature, and not be thrown off the track by every nutshell and mosquito’s wing that falls on the rails.” Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

  1. When I read this this morning I thought about how this time next week or even tomorrow the problems I am focused on today will be passed and it will be something else. How important is it, comes to mind. Taking care of myself spiritually, emotionally and even physically is a long term investment. The truth for me today is my life is not what I want it to be, but it could change tomorrow, or even later today. Focusing on the next right thing is enough for me today.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~