November 1, 2010

When Peace is the Answer to Unsolved Problems


I love how today's CTC reading so easily fits my EA focus.


In the past,  I have experienced my thoughts be just like a bucking horse, racing out of control when I frantically try, over and over, to solve a difficult problem. 

I've been thinking about how to apply my program to that when such happens again, as it surely will. Wrestling with my thoughts, struggling for control, does not help, I know that . Best to stop,  refocus, and try a new approach.

Stopping can be as simple as taking a time out, to take a few deep breaths and look at my surroundings. That is why Nature is so helpful to me.  After a pause, often obsessive thoughts can be replaced with a positive thought. The slogan, Let Go and Let God comes to mind, as a way to stop my mind from running around in circles. I can say the Serenity Prayer or the first line of the St. Francis prayer, "God make me an instrument of thy peace."  

I used to escape my problems by reading books, so I am a little cautious about that method, today. 

 The program principles, help me better to trust that it's OK to  learn to  live at peace with unsolved problems.   I can give myself permission to take my mind off the situation for a few hours, and work on something else that is more straightforward, then return with a fresh perspective.  The listening ear of a program friend, or my Sponsor, can help me find serenity, so "I can better look at my situation without losing all self-control."   Time and distance gives me perspective too.  

Sometimes I have to let go of a problem before I can find a solution.  I cannot hear my inner voice, when my mind generating "noise". Quieting my monkey mind is a skill I can learn with practice. Meditation helps.  It may be hard at first to make this is a priority, when my mind thinks things can't wait, but with practice I realize I deserve to have peace of mind,  "one minute, one thought at a time."

"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."  Blaise Pascal

4 comments:

  1. I like this page but sometimes it seems nothing works to stop my mind from searching for solution and sometimes there is no solution when you are dealing with another person. My mind just won't let it rest. I can use all the tools and nothing works. I usually just tell myself that tomorrow is another day and I can start again. My mind is my best friend and my worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to share a quote with you, I hope you find it as helpful as I have at times. ~ K

    “Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”
    - Mary Anne Radmacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace:

    I too find that there are times nothing seems to work when my mind goes searching for solutions. This reading talks about stopping and letting God take it for a few hours so my mind can rest. Bah! My ego thinks that not working on the problem until it is SOLVED is irresponsible! Maybe that is how it is for you? I like that you remind yourself that "tomorrow is another day." And K's sharing of the courage quote, is going to keep me thinking about how to let myself sleep better with an unsolved problem. Thanks.

    So often what I do now to give my mind a break, is to tire out my body a bit. I like to do something that requires a whole shift in my environment. Water walking, or swimming laps, or going outside for a brisk walk... something that literally gets my body moving so my mind must follow. We all learn what works for us.

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned thankfully to let things go. I don't obsess much over what people say or do or over those things that are beyond my control. I attribute my changed perspective to understanding that I am powerless over people, places, and things and to my belief in a Higher Power who I can trust. I often ask myself How Important Is It when I begin to obsess and worry.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~