January 7, 2011

The Power of Relaxation

How glad I am for the variety of tools we have to use in Al-anon.  I can let them work change in my life, even before I am ready to do the Steps. Have any of you seen how close to Step Eleven the following Just for Today takes us?


“Just for today, I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax.”

Do I find that difficult? Even a little time alone—thirty minutes out of my busy schedule seemed like far too many! So I started out with five minutes.

Was it difficult to decide what to do with my time? Well, I started with a favorite piece of classical music or something with lyrics that sets my soul free. It began with five minutes, then I was able to find ten, and then I found I liked more and more of that time to be spent in silence, appreciating what good there is in my life. I got to spending thirty minutes for myself.

Amazing how those quiet half hours are restoring my to sanity. It is through these times with myself, spent in prayer and meditation, that I find the peace and power of my God.


Today's reading from CTC finishes with this:  "[By taking time to relax,] I have learned to enjoy my own company in a new way. Now, no matter what is going on, I need this half hour every day to get a perspective on my life. By sitting quietly in the midst of turmoil, I find that I am not alone. If I take the time, my Higher Power sends the message...

I care enough about myself to take a half hour to relax. But if a half hour is more than I can manage, I can let that be all right. Whatever time I can give to myself will be a step forward. If I can stop the wheels from turning for even a few moments, my Higher Power can take charge and steer me in the right direction."

“Take rest: a field that has rested gives a beautiful crop.” Ovid

3 comments:

  1. How true this post is, it starts with just a few moments garnered for nothing more than just peace.

    Thank you for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I can only do a few minutes at a time-
    (But I notice my morning meditation time is longer!)Sometimes I do relax with music ( my hubby loves it!)Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh....I do enjoy relaxing now. It is like I no longer have to be in a frenzy.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~