February 11, 2011

February 8th: You Don't Have To Be My Friend...

I like people and at one time I wanted everyone to be my friend. With the best of intentions, I tried to encourage friendships with certain people, although my attempts were repeatedly and discretely rebuffed.  I was comforted by the words I heard at the end of each meeting "..though you may not like all of us, you'll love us in a very special way--the same way we already love you." It was an important lesson that, while I can't have everyone's friendship, I can offer and receive respect, support and understanding. Patience and humility soothed my wounded pride.

Today's reminder

It is unrealistic to expect everyone to like me. With such an expectation, I set myself up to fail and give myself an excuse to blame that failure on others. I can't change other people, but I can change my own attitudes. I can let go of my rules about how other people should feel about me. When I am disappointed in another's response, I can make an extra effort to be kind, warm and loving to myself. I am lovable just the way I am.

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." Oscar Wilde


(Adapted slightly from Courage To Change)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~