March 11, 2011

Daring to Risk... and Find my Power


To recover I have had to reconsider at least one old way of thinking.  I did my best to avoid feelings, by avoiding those situations that triggered me.  Play it safe, keep away from risk, was the motto I was raised with. But to grow, I need to experience life fully with all of its risk. Pain is unavoidable, but suffering is optional. All I need to is accept life as it is.
I no longer run away or hide from crises. Instead I learn to look for the source of my distress.  Pain passes much more quickly as a result, and I find I am less fearful of new situations.

One important tool for me in changing the way I respond to the world is my fourth step inventory.  Through this powerful step I can take a compassionate look at myself and my situation, and see how I created my own suffering.   My Higher Power, my Sponsor and the mantra of the serenity prayer, help me to foster the courage to deal with pain and face risk.

March 10th’s  CTC author’s experience is an inspiration, “When I was avoiding taking risks, fear was always with me, just over my shoulder. Now I go through it and come out on the other side, often unscathed. I no longer have to keep a constant watch for potential danger. Instead, I can occupy myself with living.”

It is a thrill to participate in my own life and to experience the new power in me, created when I face my fears with love. 

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

1 comment:

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~