May 28, 2011

Comparisons... with me, myself and I

(Adapted for personal use from May 28th's Courage to Change in Alanon.)

The author of today's reading begins, "I have heard it said that the only valid comparisons are between myself as I am and myself as I used to be. When I think of Step Two and of being restored to sanity, such a comparison comes to mind."

When I get myself into trouble emotionally, do I beat myself up the way I used to? No, I take responsibility in a more healthy way today.  I don't blame others, nor do I see myself as a victim of circumstance. I am not even mad at psychiatry for not giving me the hope I thought I needed. Because I did not find hope in their pills, I found my way back into our rooms and got real honest with myself.   

"Looking back, I see many examples of the grace of a Power greater than myself at work in my life. I see progress in being restored to sanity, and I am increasingly confident that my progress will continue." 

Our business in life is not to get ahead of other people, but but to get ahead of ourselves.  Maltbie D. Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~