September 29, 2011

Steps of Easing Down

How often have I thought doing the Steps was working against gravity. I perceived each set-back and imagined how much work it would be to come back up those steps to reclaim a higher ground.

Pushing upwards,  defying gravity... 

But maybe the point of the steps is to return to the ground of myself. Not fighting against gravity.  Allowing new habits to evolve that come out of self acceptance instead.

I saw a great quote today that helped me see the way to new habits might be less about more hard work and upwards movement....

"Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs one step at a time." Mark Twain

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight on the steps. I saw it as a challenge and one that I wanted to meet to make myself feel better. It has become my way of life.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~