December 20, 2011

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, in this one day

I am glad this is a one-day-at-a-time program.  

One thing I remind myself of is this: No matter how bad the day is, there is always something good in it. I am permitted, even encouraged to let myself accept and embrace that good.

I appreciate any reminders I can get, and am open to them. They reveal themselves when someone smiles at me for no reason. When someone lets me get in front of them in traffic, or when I do the same for someone else;  when I see a title on a book that catches my eye; when I hear a piece of music that moves me; when I overhear my son humming; when he tells me a joke when I am mad (and need Humor Power!).  

And when I see the quote above the deep pool at my local YMCA, which I will paraphase:

Today is the day the Beloved has given me to live, let me rejoice and be glad in this one day.

These words are  a special special challenge to me to put away my old ways of thinking and find happiness in TODAY.  These words do not say anything about deserving joy, they do not say that I can feel joy only if others are not suffering.  Perhaps instead, I can feel compassion for others, and better serve to lighten their load if I allow myself to rejoice in what is good in the world we share together.

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for one day at a time too. If I think too far into the future, I get scared.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~