September 5, 2010

The Power of Tears

I am sharing my thoughts on today's passage from the daily reader in Emotions Anonymous. I am so grateful for the healing power of tears.


Tears help me express a range of emotions. When my anger or fear is about being hurt, I can cry. When I am sad, I can cry. And, I show compassion for others with my tears.

There are times when my tears express emotions that have been dammed inside me. If I am ever afraid to cry, let me remember what a relief it feels to stop holding them back. When these tears burst forth, I am expressing parts of me that have been suffering neglect.

I know others who could not cry when they were younger. Or who will not cry because they feel it makes them vulnerable. Let me, dear God, show others it is safe to cry in my presence.

I have long thought of my emotions as a God-given gift. It is OK to share my feelings, and good to feel the relief that crying affords. Tears show me I am alive!

Thank you, God, that I can cry and feel all of my emotions.

Today I will remember that I can love myself through sadness and through joy. My souls speaks to me through healing tears.

2 comments:

  1. well this was something I needed to read today. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walling off my feelings isn't a good thing. I am thankful to be able to feel and to express those feelings.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~