December 19, 2010

December 19: The Power of Self-Care

 I've learned that mental illness has physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences. That is why I check on my own physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being daily.   Today's CTC reading asks us in Al-anon to do an inventory of our use of 12-step tools:  literature, meetings, use of slogans, steps and traditions. 

Am I making my physical and spiritual well-being a program priority?  Do I eat well and get enough sleep?  Take breaks? Exercise?

Am I growing more aware of my feelings?   Do I allow a Sponsor and friends to help me through the rough times?  Do I look for the good? Is any of the attention I once gave to negative thinking now focused on gratitude?

It helps to have a relationship with a Power greater than myself and to make time for  meditation and prayer. Self-care can start with regular attendance of meetings, and reading the literature. It deepens as I apply all the tools to my everyday life. 

Let me ask myself each day what program tools I am using. Looking at my new habits, helps me learn a practice that will make me adept at self-care.  

"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." George Bernard Shaw

3 comments:

  1. I like that quote, don't think I've heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a good image? I like thinking that we are the eyes and ears of our Higher Power...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focusing on the positive is so important to me. I can easily go down into self-pity if I lose hope and gratitude. Good post, Smitty.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~