February 20, 2011

I'm sharing an adaptation of February 15th's CTC to fit my EA program, in hopes that by writing it out  for my EA needs, I may be that much more able to share in our face-to-face meeting.

"We talk a great deal about working the program. Actually, what we do is to practice what we are learning. It’s like studying a second language. A student reads books and attends classes, but this only gives him technical knowledge. To be able to use the language he must be around those who speak and understand it. He practices listening and speaking while continuing to read. If he stays with it, in time it will become a lifelong skill.
So it is with many of us. We begin with little knowledge and many misconceptions. We got to meetings about our emotional difficulties an study our literature. But to actually be able to use this knowledge takes time, patience and effort.  It helps to spend time around those who are making a strong commitment to practicing these principles in their lives.  We continue to listen, to read, to learn how to speak the EA language.  In this way, the 12-step way of life sinks in until it becomes second nature. Then, because we are constantly changing, we have opportunities to practice some more.
If I want to become skillful at applying the program to my life, I need to do more than go to an occasional meeting. I must make a commitment to practice, practice, practice." 

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

1 comment:

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~