June 6, 2011

The Step of Admitting Who We Really Are, Step Four




(Adapted for personal use from June 6th's Courage to Change in Alanon.)


How easy it can be to justify our own unacceptable behavior! 
We can excuse ourselves, claiming that we were provoked or had no choice. 
Or  dismiss out actions by telling ourselves that everyone else does the same things.  
But our wrongs do count, even when our closest consorts have done much to wrong us. 

We overcome the endless hurts of denial, when we take the Fourth Step.  
We muster up the courage to make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. 

Fearless,  because of the strong spiritual foundation we have established by taking the first three steps. 

Moral, because we list what we feel has been right or wrong about our conduct. 

Searching, for only way we can take this Step thoroughly is to search out our deepest feelings and resist the desire to justify and excuse what we uncover. 

Through courage and self-discipline, we can freely acknowledging who we have been, and begin to make positive changes towards becoming what we want to become.

Let me ever remember I am a human being, with strengths and weaknesses, capable of achievements and mistakes. Because I can accept this, I can look closely at myself. Today I will find something to appreciate and to improve.

"You never find yourself until you face death." Pearl Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~