August 21, 2012

Simplest Words For Step Seven, Humbly

For me, Step Seven is already simple enough. "Humbly asked God to remove my shortcomings."

Yet the Step is so variously interpreted, and rejected.

I think the word "humbly" is the crux of this step. It describes HOW we ask for help, in general.

The goal of the program, according to the Group of Drunks (GOD) that codified these steps, IS humility. I quote from AA's Twelve and Twelve: 

"Humility, as a word and as an ideal, has a very bad time of it in our world. " Humility as an idea, is misunderstood and even disliked. I feel that our experiences can cause us to easily confuse it  with humiliation. 

Indeed, for some of us, the path to humility has been humiliation. If this rings true, I am deeply sorry. This can make humility a "trigger" word for you. 

I have referred to trigger words  in Steps Four, (with its fearless moral inventory), Five (with its admittance to our wrongs, or wrong-thinking)... and Six (with its readiness to have an HP remove, gulp,  our defects of character!). 

I am grateful that Step Seven is less of a trigger for me than any of the preceding Steps. Perhaps this is so, because I am trained in  science and think long and deeply about the origins of our speech.

Humilty and humble share the same latin roots and are related to the adjective humilis, which may be translated as "humble", but also as "grounded", "from the earth", or "low", since it derives in turns from humus (earth. )

To me, humility is modest appreciation of one's gifts; it is also respect for others.  A Sponsor of mine would constantly refer to the need for kindness, which is an important aspect of humility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~