September 27, 2012

What Can I Give Up, Today?



Reading September 24th's Today, this is what jumped out at me.

"In order to maintain this loving attitude which I have
started to experience, I frequently have to give up some
necessary characteristic of my self-will.  Each time it is a
different item:  an attitude, an erroneous belief, and
unrealistic goal, or another person's approval. " 
I liked this way of looking at Step Seven. Something  in the wording inspired a search for timeless quotes about self-mastery.

Le voila!  

“We should every night call ourselves to an account;
What infirmity have I mastered today?
What passions opposed? What temptation resisted? What virtue acquired? Our vices will abort of themselves if they be brought every day to the shrift.”
― Seneca

Is that not an invitation to take Step Ten? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Keep me honest~